Alright. I just wanted to add one short story about a mythological beast from the Inuit. This happens to be one of my favorite pictures of all time, just because of the level of creepiness involved. These are Qallupilluit, Qallupilluk singular. Now, Qallupilluit are ocean creatures that steals lone children through cracks in the ice.
There are many descriptions for a Qallupilluit, so I’ll name a couple popular ones. They are claimed to be short with blue skin, they wear parkas made of loon feathers, and their hair is home to a host of sea critters like crabs, and laced with seaweed.
Sometimes they are described with long hair, like the picture, and green skin with long finger nails. They are said to wear a amauti, a unique parka created with a pouch for a child to rest in.
Sometimes they are said to have scaly and bumpy skin. And even sometimes they have an eider duck parka. Most descriptions of the creature include a pouch for carrying children.
They are said to reek of sulfur, which I’m sure adds to their non-existant appeal. Inuit elders say that Qallupilluit have a specific humming sound that they make, and you can hear it when they are near. They also tend to jump out of the cracks in the ice without warning. And, the most creepy thing to me, they knock on the ice and you can hear the distinct tapping. If the ocean gets particularly wavy or steam rises, a Qallupilluit is hiding in the water.
No one is sure why they steal children. Some speculate loneliness. Others speculate dinner. Some variations of Qallupilluit mythology say that the child stolen will either die or turn into a mermaid to live underwater with the Qallupilluk that took them.
Most accounts claim that this was a legend created to scare children away from playing on the beach alone, or approaching cracking, drifting ice. But, even so, I wanted to include this because something about the idea of Qallupilluit really scares the crap out of me. Humming, ice tapping, baby kidnapping ocean creatures.
The Inuit sure knew how to scare the crap out of children (and possibly everyone else. Unless I’m alone here.)
- crankybunny reblogged this from doctor-saywhatnow
- anthdz likes this
- igrendel likes this
- theamazingsillybear reblogged this from paranormalexposure
- itsdarkbetweenthestars likes this
- cpuac21 likes this
- the-con-man likes this
- gamo8421 reblogged this from thivus
- sporkittysporking reblogged this from aimlessapocalypse
- nightmaresaremydreams reblogged this from the-cyanide-exploder
- kenai-chisame likes this
- bleachbath likes this
- aimlessapocalypse reblogged this from that-weird-artist-kid
- retardedghost reblogged this from the-cyanide-exploder
- retardedghost likes this
- kengoa likes this
- englishteutophile likes this
- sifaseven likes this
- scp-173 likes this
- the-cyanide-exploder reblogged this from thivus
- the-cyanide-exploder likes this
- 8tabbsandadime reblogged this from thivus
- hellswanderings likes this
- thivus reblogged this from genghis-khanye
- thivus likes this
- genghis-khanye reblogged this from joachimmurat
- zero333 likes this
- lucifers-mistress-official reblogged this from lorrettadicketownnl
- twilightsparklez1996 likes this
- twistedthroughtime likes this
- derpytoday likes this
- thankorblamemelater likes this
- ask-gothic-sonic likes this
- ask-levina-and-shockblitz likes this
- ask-team-rush likes this
- rainbow-burst45 likes this
- madnimrod reblogged this from emissary-architect
- madnimrod likes this
- felishaww reblogged this from emissary-architect
- felishaww likes this
- tasil-and-bowties likes this
- madsniperd likes this
- rednuepoch reblogged this from diceman
- bullshit4life reblogged this from fifteenhours-creepystories
- bullshit4life likes this
- expl0itive likes this
- usernameisinsertedhere reblogged this from annathereindeer
- annathereindeer reblogged this from emissary-architect
- parlourowners likes this
- talcentheinsane reblogged this from emissary-architect