Alright. I just wanted to add one short story about a mythological beast from the Inuit. This happens to be one of my favorite pictures of all time, just because of the level of creepiness involved. These are Qallupilluit, Qallupilluk singular. Now, Qallupilluit are ocean creatures that steals lone children through cracks in the ice.
There are many descriptions for a Qallupilluit, so I’ll name a couple popular ones. They are claimed to be short with blue skin, they wear parkas made of loon feathers, and their hair is home to a host of sea critters like crabs, and laced with seaweed.
Sometimes they are described with long hair, like the picture, and green skin with long finger nails. They are said to wear a amauti, a unique parka created with a pouch for a child to rest in.
Sometimes they are said to have scaly and bumpy skin. And even sometimes they have an eider duck parka. Most descriptions of the creature include a pouch for carrying children.
They are said to reek of sulfur, which I’m sure adds to their non-existant appeal. Inuit elders say that Qallupilluit have a specific humming sound that they make, and you can hear it when they are near. They also tend to jump out of the cracks in the ice without warning. And, the most creepy thing to me, they knock on the ice and you can hear the distinct tapping. If the ocean gets particularly wavy or steam rises, a Qallupilluit is hiding in the water.
No one is sure why they steal children. Some speculate loneliness. Others speculate dinner. Some variations of Qallupilluit mythology say that the child stolen will either die or turn into a mermaid to live underwater with the Qallupilluk that took them.
Most accounts claim that this was a legend created to scare children away from playing on the beach alone, or approaching cracking, drifting ice. But, even so, I wanted to include this because something about the idea of Qallupilluit really scares the crap out of me. Humming, ice tapping, baby kidnapping ocean creatures.
The Inuit sure knew how to scare the crap out of children (and possibly everyone else. Unless I’m alone here.)
- theseasonlords reblogged this from the-darkest-shadow
- crispin2nd reblogged this from fanfandom
- crispin2nd likes this
- innerpolymathy reblogged this from chaotic-awesome
- nitramquest likes this
- chaotic-awesome reblogged this from fanfandom
- couthor likes this
- fanfandom reblogged this from motherovernature
- alliealison reblogged this from ibelieveinahappilyeverafter
- alliealison likes this
- theunforgiven137 likes this
- ibelieveinahappilyeverafter reblogged this from eternity-beckons
- dakma99 reblogged this from paranormalexposure
- dakma99 likes this
- elizabeth--x likes this
- applepiedpiper likes this
- whiskeylullabye likes this
- stardustandash reblogged this from define-sanity
- does-anyone-live-forever likes this
- thebackexit reblogged this from hewasafraid
- noruil reblogged this from paranormalexposure
- noruil likes this
- just-another-dead-protagonist reblogged this from squiddysru
- squiddysru reblogged this from smieska
- samwinchester54 reblogged this from hewasafraid
- freyas-raven-wings likes this
- hewasafraid reblogged this from smieska
- inuterominion likes this
- jay-vajayjay reblogged this from paranormalexposure
- jay-vajayjay likes this
- t-h-e-m-a-d-d-e-s-t-h-a-t-t-e-r likes this
- midnightwolf191 reblogged this from the-darkest-shadow
- deceitfulmermaid likes this
- fearlingcontrolled reblogged this from motherovernature
- pouzingarouunderthemoonlight likes this
- nighthawk1984 likes this
- yuumori reblogged this from shachaai
- crackedhopehead likes this
- miss-fiery reblogged this from shachaai
- differentfrequency likes this
- dwmaweapongirl16 reblogged this from scarletpath
- dwmaweapongirl16 likes this
- kuki-chama likes this
- toedlicher likes this
- blaze-kitty likes this
- morgan-and-ko likes this
- chemistrygeek11 reblogged this from shachaai
- demone-rosa reblogged this from the-yodelling-muffin
- demone-rosa likes this